Monday, November 11, 2013

November Week 2- Light (Martinmas)

This week our focus was light, specifically finding light as we move into the dark half of the year. 
 We kicked off the week with a lovely Martinmas Celebration at the farm with our homeschooling co-op.
The children made lanterns, we had a potluck feast, a homemade toy swap with the crafty Mamas and our very
 first childmade toy swap, we collected coats to donated and of course had a candlelight procession as we sang 
around the farm.
 
Martinmas is one of my favorite holidays, there is something truly magical about filling the night with light carried
 by children. We continued that celebration throughout the week.










Monday, baking day, we made honey cake and real hot chocolate with cream.
Tuesday, painting day, we told the Martinmas watercolor story found in The BEarth Institute's "A Year of Waldorf
 Watercolor Stories"
Wednesday, coloring day, we used our yellow crayons to draw a rectangle and circle to make candles then filled 
in  the paper with our blur crayons to create night,
Thursday, handwork day, we made beeswax candles.
Friday our cleaning day we cleaned all of our candle holders, replaced them with fresh candles and cleaned
Our lights which were in despeate need of cleaning after a swarm of lady bugs infested our home.






This weeks circle time song and verses:

Good morning, dear earth.
Good morning, dear sun.
Good morning, dear trees
And the flowers, every one.
Good morning, dear beasts
And the birds in the trees.
Good morning to you
And good morning to me!


The sunlight fast is dwindling
My little lamp needs kindling
Let your light shine bright
Into the darkest night
Little lantern guide me 
With your precious light


I go outside with my lantern, my lantern goes with me
Above the stars are shining bright, down here on Earth shine we.
The cock does crow, the cat meows, la bimmel, la bammel, la boom.
‘Neath heaven’s dome till we go home, la bimmel, la bammel, la boom.

I go outside with my lantern, my lantern goes with me
Above the stars are shining bright, down here on Earth shine we.
So shine your light through the still dark night, la bimmel, la bammel, la boom
‘Neath heaven’s dome till we go home, la bimmel, la bammel, la boom.

My lantern, my lantern,
Sun and moon and starlight.
In the darkened heaven high
Shine no stars within the sky.
Darkened is the path this night
With no moon or star as light.

My lantern, my lantern,
Sun and moon and starlight,
Friendly little lantern bright,
Be my sun and shield this night.
Be my moon and sun so high.
No light is in the sky.

Rufty and Tufty were two little elves that 
lived in a hollow tree
They did all the cooking and cleaning themselves
And often had friends in for tea.
 Rufty wore red and Tufty wore blue, 
And each had a hat with a feather,
They kept their finest shoes under the bed, 
that were made of Magic green leather.
 Rufty was clever and kept the accounts,
And Tufty did all of the cooking.
He made the finest  cakes without weighing amounts
And eat them when no one was looking.

And the story of the week:
http://www.songandseason.com/puppet-story-georges-lantern/


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Martinmas is my favourite festival, we celebrated with friends this year...a lantern walk and dinner. It was lovely. Our days have been filled with talk of our inner light and how we can share it. Such a wonderful time of year.

    ReplyDelete